Posted in Add and mix, tagged cumin, curry, food, gluten free, green, health, paleo, recipe, soup, vegetarian, zucchini on February 18, 2014|
Leave a Comment »
Curried-Cumined Zucchini Soup
Our winter is too long and too white. There, I said it! To break all this whiteness, I made a warm green soup.
- 2 Tbs fat (butter, ghee, coconut oil, tallow);
- 1 tsp cumin seeds;
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped;
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped;
- 1 tsp curry powder (if you like less spicy, use 1/2 tsp curry and 1/2 tsp turmeric);
- 3-4 zucchini, coarsely sliced (I also used one Dudhi, an Indian type of long zucchini);
- 3-4 cups liquids (bone broth, chicken broth, vegetable broth, water). Use less liquid (3 cups) for a thicker consistency;
- salt and pepper;
* optional: garnish (cilantro, parsley, sour cream)
ingredients assembly. not in the photo: lemon, broth, parsley, salt n’ pepper
- Melt fat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and allow them to heat just until they let out their wonderful aroma. They will start to splutter. Don’t allow them to burn or blacken.
sizzling cumin opening it’s fragrance
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 4 minutes until they start to soften.
zuc·chi·ni. noun, plural zuc·chi·nis
- Add liquid, zucchini, curry powder and salt (add more salt if using only water as your liquid). Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook gently for 30 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Allow soup to cool, and blend (I use an immersion stick) until just smooth.
- Before serving, reheat soup. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Ladle into bowls, squeeze some lemon, and add some garnish.
Read Full Post »
It’s Fall. Not everything is orange yet, as we had a funny Summer. Here and there red leafs are showing for a moment or two before they take off and hit the ground. There is chill in the mornings. I want to feel like Fall.
orangey ingredients for fall soup
So I decided to make an orange soup that my daughter loves, to get into the Autumn atmosphere. And daughter: when you grow and have your own family and you’ll wanna feel like a little girl again, with your childhood kitchen smells, you have the recipe to do just that. EZ.
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, cut into coarse cubes
- 9-10 carrots, peeled, cubed
- 1 orange, rind grated
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. add onions and garlic, cook while stirring frequently till soften.
- add the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 3 minutes.
- add broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25-30 minutes, until vegetables are soft (but not too soft…).
- allow soup to cool, then puree with a hand blender.
variations: add some sour cream to the soup; substitute the vegetable broth with chicken broth; add sweet potato instead of 5 carrots; add saffron. play around and have fun finding your special aroma.
yummy orange soup
Read Full Post »